12/06/2011

Can philosophy major students get jobs?

Ask what undergraduate student major in and I bet most of them will not say philosophy. Once one of my friend asked me what I major in, and I answered, "Well, maths, economics and maybe philosophy..." "What?" He was confused, "I know why you choose maths, because you are smart and I understand your interest in economics, but why philosophy, that's boring and useless."

Well, there are many advantages for a philosophy guy, like a better aptitude in reading, writing, logic thinking and maybe they can get higher GRE and GMAT scores, but in this blog I will try to argue that philosophy students also have advantages in job applications.

It's apparent that employers would like to hire smart, diligent workers but can't tell from an interview who is smart and diligent. Neither can they know who is most capable simply by looking at where they graduate because in my opinion, on average a half of the students even in elite schools are trash. So in short, employers don't have enough information and knowledge to make right decisions.

It's also apparent that everyone has to work hard to obtain a philosophy degree, but lazy and dumb people find it troublesome.

So, smart and diligent people can prove that they are smart and diligent by going to the trouble of getting a philosophy degree. Lazy and dumb people would not enter that field. So the degree of philosophy can be a signal of intelligence and diligence, which can bridge the information gap.

But, I have to admit that the best path for a philosophy major student is graduate school and professor. So in my opinion, philosophy can be a great option for second major or minor.

No comments:

Post a Comment